Friday, July 28, 2006

Safe and Sound

"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."


Safe and Sound
No more boarding up my windows
So that I can lay low, Nobody's home
No more trying to run away from
Tired of being afraid of what I can't control
The hardest part I'm always told is letting go
Safe and sound know that you're big enough to
Wrap around my heart completely
Safe and sound just knowing that you know me.
I can finally set my heart free
Lost within the mystery of this love I've found
There is nothing that can pull me
From the hand that holds me, I'm safe and sound
The hardest part I'm always told is letting go
-MercyMe
I find myself laying in bed a lot of nights wondering if I have everything I need for Africa and if the clothes I've bought will be what I need. This casual wondering, if I let it, turns to this overwelming sense of dread...so bad that I've thought of going and climbing in bed with my mommy. I don't even have a solid reason for this dread, I think it's just an overwelming fear of the unknown. I'm a planner and having no idea what the next four months of my life holds is hard for me.
The other day though I was doing devotions and I found the classic verse about letting tomorrow take care of itself, but this time I was reading it in the message. It's amazing how the message can take a verse I've heard a thousand times and turn it into a verse I actually understand and cling to. I loved the verse because it was exactly what I needed to hear. No matter what happens on the way to Africa, when I get to Africa, or even when I get back from Africa...God has already been there and he and I can face it together. I just have this picture in my mind of this group huddle of me and God trying to come up with an answer to my problems...and I love it. I love knowing that I'm taken care of and I don't have to worry what might happen. And even better, God has equipped me to handle what he puts in front of me.
Another important part of that verse is also how it says to keep my entire attention on what I'm doing right now. There are so many people than I am still interacting with and so many things that God is using me for here. I don't have to go to Africa to find people that need to see Jesus through me. I need to remember that God can use me where ever I am. I am also enjoying depending on God right now. I have no idea what's to come, but I am growing so much by just letting Him have control. No matter what, I'm Safe and Sound.

No comments: